First Death From Vape Explosion Recorded

First Death From Vape Explosion Recorded

First reported by the Tampa Bay Times, Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner's autopsy said that 38-year-old Tallmadge D'Elia died from a "projectile wound of head" and 80 percent of his body suffered burns in the subsequent fire.

The medical examiner ruled that the death was an accident.

D'Elia also suffered burns to 80 per cent of his body, the ABC News reports, after the explosion caused a fire in his house. D'Elia was found by firefighters in the burning bedroom of his family's home in St. Petersburg. A company representative stated that they don't believe it was their pen that exploded but rather the atomizer or battery.

The video below shows two separate occasions of vape pens exploding, emitting plumes of smoke and starting fires.

Some 133 injuries - 38 of which severe - have been caused by exploding e-cigarettes in the past, the Associated Press reported, citing US Fire Administration statistics.

While D'Elia's death is a first, injuries from electronic cigarettes are surprisingly common. "It is this intimate contact between the body and the battery that is most responsible for the severity of the injuries that have been seen".

More news: President Trump Addresses Need for More Competition, Lower Drug Costs

"Lithium ion batteries fail in other devices as well, but in a laptop, it's on your lap", he said.

According to the Washington Post, at least 195 incidents of electronic cigarettes explosion or fire were registered by the U.S. Fire Administration from 2009 to 2016. "His mother and I weren't home, so that's why he may have been using it inside", he said while talking about e-cigarette use by his son. These include using vape devices with added safety features, replacing wet or damaged batteries, avoiding charging overnight and using only e-cigarette chargers.

Keep the vape pen out of direct sunlight.

He explained: 'Any other e-cig that has a computer chip in it prevents that from happening'.

Smok-E Mountain, however, told ABC its e-cigarettes do not explode, suggesting instead that the device's battery or atomiser was likely to blame.

Related Articles