Explosions, gunfire heard near military academy in Kabul

Explosions, gunfire heard near military academy in Kabul

Militants have targeted a military base in Kabul Monday, just two days after an attacker driving an ambulance packed with explosives killed more than 100 in the Afghan capital.

Two security officials at the scene, who spoke on the condition of anonymity as the situation was fluid, said militants set off the fighting by firing rocket-propelled grenades at Marshal Fahim University.

ISIL claimed the attack in which at least 10 other soldiers were wounded, Reuters reported.

Afghanistan Ministry of Defence spokesman Dawlat Waziri confirmed to TOLO News agency that the clash which began in the early morning had come to an end.

The attack was reportedly launched at around 5 am on the Military University in PD5, Kabul city.

The Taliban had claimed responsibility for these attacks.

The resident said additional smaller blasts could be heard at frequent intervals following the larger explosions.

More news: Karnataka bandhs put BJP in uncomfortable position as Congress leverages Mahadayi issue

Earlier, a source inside the camp said explosions and gunfire could be heard coming from the direction of the entrance.

Another 235 people were injured, including 30 police officers, Kabul police chief Basir Mojahid said.

In a month, this is the third major terrorist assault in the Afghan capital.

In October, 15 cadets from Marshal Fahim academy were killed when their bus was attacked in a suicide bombing.

But there is still confusion over the true toll from that attack with conflicting figures given by officials and Afghan media reporting higher numbers.

The United States has stepped up its assistance to Afghan security forces and increased its air strikes against the Taliban and other militant groups, aiming to break a stalemate and force the insurgents to the negotiating table.

Further details about the number of attackers and possible victims were unclear.

Related Articles